Maintenance tasks you can do for yourself, which will improve things on your computer, whether you do or don’t upgrade to Windows 10. Here are the first three:
1. Check for malware and clean up junk.
2. Download and run Ccleaner.
3. Run Disk Cleanup and be sure to clean system files.
1. Go to bleepingcomputer.com and download rkill, adwcleaner (AWC), and junkware removal tool (JRT). Run Rkill, to see if you have malware processes running. If it finds none, proceed with running JRT and AWC, in that order. If Rkill does find malware processes running, especially if it finds anything followed by (HEUR), you are going to need to do a bit more work to remove viruses, before you move on. The scope of this article will not cover virus removal tasks.
3. You can run Disk Cleanup (a built in windows utility) by simply pressing the Windows key and typing Disk Cleanup. Click OK and after the first pass, run it again and click on Clean up system files. This will take a few minutes to complete, so be patient.
If you are reading this last paragraph, please TAKE NOTE! There is no compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 10 and most people who provide computer support will tell you to wait. Several months from now, most of the bugs will have been found and squashed. If you have some time off around the holidays, that might be a good time to get this done. Or, if you are up for something a little scary, upgrade on Halloween!